Samples request

  • Sample basket
  • Change country

    Select a country

  • Search the site

    Search the site

Vinyl, a sustainable, energy efficient choice

Vinyl is the world’s most thoroughly researched and widely used plastic.  It can be used to make everything from intravenous tubing to flooring -- vinyl is extremely versatile.  But did you know that vinyl is also extremely energy efficient and requires less energy to produce than other materials?

PVC, or polyvinyl chloride, is commonly referred to as ‘vinyl’, and a very popular material for flooring.  Unlike most plastics, 57% of vinyl is derived from salt, a natural and abundant material. The other 43% is derived from oil but only accounts for about 0.3% of the world’s oil consumption.
11657400063_7d6537050f_z.jpgThe manufacture of vinyl requires less energy than many other materials, including rubber, linoleum and wood, for example.  This efficiency helps it have a more sustainable life cycle.
In fact vinyl is so efficient that the carbon footprint of 1kg of vinyl is equivalent to that of 1kg everyday breakfast cereal.
Pound for pound vinyl is more durable than many competing flooring materials.  This allows vinyl flooring to be thinner and lighter while still offering impressive durability and makes vinyl flooring useful in all manner of applications.  From operating rooms, to commercial kitchens, to busy city transit buses, vinyl offers a great solution for many areas.
To learn more about benefits of vinyl and the sustainable attributes of Altro safety flooring, visit our pages on sustainability.

Posted: 10/10/2014 7:08:46 PM by Lea Charnley | with 0 comments